Thursday, March 21, 2013

Poached Eggs over Asparagus


It's no secret that I love food. I think about it often, probably too much sometimes : )
One of my favourite meal times is breakfast. I love starting my day with a delicious, healthy meal! I have been making this asparagus and egg breakfast a lot lately. The recipe calls for 1 egg, but I always make 2, one for me, and one for my 18 month old who devours this combination almost as fast as I do. This recipe is quick, easy, filling, and downright de! 

Ingredients 

1 bunch of asparagus (about 10), bottoms trimmed
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 egg

Directions

Place asparagus in a large frying pan and fill with water just until they are covered. Bring water to a boil and cook asparagus for a couple of minutes ( 2-6 minutes or until bright in colour). Reduce heat and add 2 teaspoons of white vinegar to the water. Slowly and carefully crack the eggs over the asparagus, and cook for about 5 minutes (or longer if you don't like it runny). If this part scares you too much, you can poach the eggs once you have taken out the asparagus, but I prefer the eggs to be throughout the asparagus stems. Your choice. Drain water, remove from pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. I keep mine pretty simple, but you could also put it on a piece of whole wheat toast, or add cheese on top if you like. Enjoy! -Alex


2 comments:

  1. What a great idea for breakfast! Why didn't I think of that. Going to try this....only I will probably cook my eggs a lot longer. ; )

    Thanks for your recipe posts girls. This site is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM. I'm trying this tomorrow. Thanks for the idea! I have some asparagus just waiting to be used.

    ReplyDelete