Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Homemade Fruit Cereal Bars

I did not even consider making my own fruit cereal bars until I saw this recipe. The simplicity of the ingredients when compared to any store-bought cereal bar is astounding. I'm so glad I found this!


And so is my 11 month old...

Slightly adapted from recipe found at Super Healthy Kids


Ingredients

1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1/2 cup pure maple syrup or honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup of fruit of your choice*
1 Tablespoon water

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the oil (cooled), syrup, vanilla, and eggs. In a separate mixing bowl combine flour, oats, salt, and baking powder. Slowly add the dry mixture into the wet mixture, stirring until well incorporated. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.

To make the filling, place the fruit in a small saucepan with the water and cook over med-high head for about 5 minutes stirring frequently. Transfer the fruit into a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth. 

Preheat oven to 350F. Roll the refrigerated dough on a floured surface. Cut off rough edges, and cut the dough into 3x3 inch squares. Place the filling in the middle of each square, then fold the dough over on top of itself and pinch the open edges. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. 

Enjoy!

- Arianne





*Blueberry pictured above. I've also used strawberries. Mango, Raspberry, or cherry would also be tasty!


1 comment:

  1. My (picky) girls and I can vouch that these were truly delicious!

    ReplyDelete