Tuesday, February 26, 2013

French Onion Soup



I discovered this soup a couple of years ago on Simply Recipes and I have had a severe addiction to it ever since! I usually make it for lunch on cold days, and my little ladies and I can't get enough of it. Although it is a bit time consuming, I can easily say it is my favourite soup recipe to date, and most certainly worth the time it takes to make it! 



Ingredients

6 large yellow onions
Olive oil
1/4 teaspoon sugar
2 cloves of garlic, minced
8 cups beef stock 
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and pepper
8 slices of french bread
1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese

Directions 

In a large sauce pan sauté the onions in olive oil on medium high heat until browned, but not burned. (It usually takes 30-40 minutes, or longer.) Add the sugar about 10 minutes into the process to help the onions caramelize. 

Once the onions are nicely browned, add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Then add broth, bay leaf, and thyme. Cover and let simmer on medium low heat for 30 minutes until the flavours are well blended. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Discard the bay leaf. 

Ladle soup into oven proof bowls. Cover with toast, sprinkle with cheese and broil for 10 minutes at 350 degrees, or the cheese bubbles and is slightly browned. Serve immediately. I hope you enjoy this as much as we do! -Alex

5 comments:

  1. Awesome! I need to get me a set of those cute dishes just for onion soup. Where did you get yours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn, you really do need to get some, just to make this soup! You can find them in any thrift store! Arianne and I went to one last weekend and I saw a few among the dishes. Let me know if you want me to pick you up some next time I go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! If I don't find any in the next few days here at my end {5 thrift stores}.....I will certainly let you know. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found some! At the Mennonite Thrift store. And they were reduced to .50 cents. There was a hot clearance deal on kitchen dishes. YAY! {They are in the dishwasher now.} Guess what I'm having for lunch tomorrow. ; )

    ReplyDelete