Thursday, March 20, 2014

Creamy Vegan Spinach and Basil Soup

Funny that the first day of spring is a "soup day". Ok, you're right it's really not that funny. But this soup is delicious, regardless.

I recently took part in a clean-eating challenge. It surprised me how much better I realized I could be eating when I already thought I was doing fairly well at healthy eating. I really loved being a part of this challenge as it helped me to lose a bit of weight I've been working hard at, and I've been able to discover a few new clean and delicious recipes, like this one that my a friend of mine shared. 

I realized after I decided to make this soup that I didn't have all the right ingredients that her recipe required, so I kind of just winged it. Thanks so much for the inspiration, Cassia!



Ingredients

1 Tablespoon olive (or coconut) oil
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
4 celery stalks, chopped
3 cups vegetable broth
3/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
6 cups of tightly packed spinach leaves
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup canned coconut milk


Heat oil in a large pot and cook onions until translucent. Add the garlic and celery and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients except the coconut milk. Cook until the celery is soft then transfer to a blender. Puree until very smooth and transfer back into your pot. Add the coconut milk and heat the soup until just a boil. Serve and enjoy!


- Arianne



No comments:

Post a Comment