Monday, May 19, 2014

Butternut Squash and Red Lentil Soup




A few months ago, I got a fabulous cookbook from a friend who was de-junking her house. It just so happened to be written by one of my favourite food bloggers, Heidi Swanson! I placed it in with my other cookbooks and swiftly forgot about it (darn you pinterest) ha ha. Today though, I was going through my cookbooks (also de-junking over here), and came across it again. I flipped through the pages hoping to find something quick and easy for dinner. 

I stumbled upon a recipe called, "Chunky Lentil Soup." I was super happy that I had almost all of the ingredients on hand and got to work right away. I had to improvise as I didn't have any French or black beluga lentils, but I did have red lentils that needed to be used up, and they worked out perfectly. 

This recipe was really easy, quick and both of my girls (as well as myself), gobbled this up! I can't wait to eat the leftovers tomorrow as I'm sure they will be even better than today.



Ingredients

1 1/4 cups red lentils
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cups diced butternut squash
4 large tomatoes, diced
1 cup water or vegetable stock
1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
pinch of smoked paprika

Fresh basil leaves, julienned  (optional)
Parmesan cheese (optional)

Directions

Bring 5 cups of water to boil in a large soup pot, add the lentils and cook for 20 minutes, or until tender.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until tender (about 3 minutes). Stir in the squash, tomatoes, and water and cook until squash is tender (10-15 minutes).

Once tender, transfer the squash mix to the large pot with the cooked lentils. Let the soup return to a gentle simmer and stir in the sea salt and smoked paprika. Garnish with julienned basil leaves, Parmesan cheese, or both. Enjoy - Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment