Thursday, October 9, 2014

No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Granola Bars

I was in the mood to do a little baking today and decided it would be a good day to eat some granola bars. I turned to pinterest and found some on Averie Cooks that looked absolutely delicious. They were so easy that no baking was even required, but they satisfied my sweet tooth just fine. I did change the directions ever so slightly (I don't have a microwave), so if you're looking to make them even faster than how I made them, then follow the recipe on her blog. I also used puffed rice instead of crispy rice because I didn't have any on hand. If you're looking for something with a little more crunch, I suggest getting the crispy rice, but if you're looking for something chewier, then go with the puffed rice. Either one would be delicious! 




Ingredients 

2/3 cup honey
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/4 cup coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional, to taste)

2 cups quick oats
2 cups crispy rice cereal (I used rice puffs)
chocolate chips (optional- I didn't use)

Directions 

Line and 8x8 inch pan with aluminum foil leaving overhang. Spray with cooking spray and set aside. 

Place the honey, peanut butter and sugar in a medium sized pot and cook on medium-low until melted. Whisk in the cocoa powder, vanilla and salt and bring to a low boil while stirring constantly (watch that it doesn't burn). Remove from heat and set aside. 

In a medium sized bowl stir together the oats and krispy rice cereal. Pour the dry mix into the wet mix and stir. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and mix well. 

Turn the mixture onto the prepared pan and press down firmly with your hands or a spatula. If the mixture is really sticky, wet your hands or the spatula with a little water and press down again. Cover and place in the freezer for 1 hour so it can set, or 2-3 hours in the refrigerator. 

Using the foil overhang, remove bars from the pan, place on a cutting board and slice into bars. 
Enjoy - Alex


No comments:

Post a Comment